Unlock the Editorโs Digest for free
Roula Khalaf, Editor of the FT, selects her favourite stories in this weekly newsletter.
Israelโs domestic intelligence chief announced he would step down on June 15, after weeks of public sparring with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that pushed the country to the brink of a constitutional crisis.
Shin Bet head Ronen Bar had previously said he would resign due to his role in the failures surrounding Hamasโs October 7 2023 attack on southern Israel.
โAs the person who stood at the head of the organisation [on October 7], I took responsibility,โ Bar said in a speech commemorating Shin Betโs fallen operatives on Monday night.
โNow, on an evening that symbolises remembrance, heroism and sacrifice, I have chosen to announce that I will follow through and have decided to step down as director.โ
Netanyahuโs government sacked Bar last month in a contentious move that was slammed by opposition leaders and civil society groups as politically motivated.
The supreme court then issued a temporary injunction halting Barโs removal until it could ascertain whether Netanyahu could legally fire the domestic spy chief amid ongoing investigations by Shin Bet and others into possible lobbying work undertaken by the premierโs aides on behalf of Qatar.
In a sworn affidavit filed to the court this month, Bar alleged that Netanyahu had demanded personal fealty in the event of any future constitutional crisis with the countryโs judiciary.
Bar also alleged he had been asked to use the vast powers of his agency to monitor anti-government protesters and to halt Netanyahuโs ongoing corruption trial on security grounds.
In a rival affidavit filed to the court on Sunday, Netanyahu denied Barโs allegations, saying they were replete with โlies and contradictionsโ, and insisted he had the authority to sack the Shin Bet chief. Netanyahuโs ruling coalition threatened to ignore the supreme court, with several senior ministers pushing to halt all work with Bar.
Bar is the final senior Israeli security chief from the October 7 attack still in place. Erstwhile defence minister Yoav Gallant was sacked by Netanyahu last November, while Israel Defense Forces chief Herzi Halevi resigned under pressure from the prime minister last month. Several other senior military officers have also either resigned or have stated their intention to do so.
Netanyahu and his allies in government and the media have tried to pin sole blame for the October 7 attack on Bar and the army generals. The prime minister, in power for much of the past 16 years, has consistently refused to accept any responsibility for the worst loss of life in Israeli history, and has stymied the creation of a national commission of inquiry to fully investigate the attack.
Bar in his speech took a veiled swipe at Netanyahu, saying that: โGiven the magnitude of the event, all of us who chose public service and defending the security of the state as our lifeโs missionโ.โ.โ.โshould bow our heads in humilityโ.โ.โ.โand act accordingly.โ
It remains unclear what the supreme courtโs next steps will be, as it had previously pushed both Netanyahu and Bar to find a compromise date for the spy chiefโs exit. Yet Bar said on Monday that he hoped his case laid the โnecessary groundworkโ for the court to issue a decision that would protect both Shin Betโs independence and the countryโs democratic system.
โClarification is needed regarding the institutional protections that will allow any [future Shin Bet] director to do his job independently and free from pressure,โ said Bar. โThat will draw a clear line to distinguish between trust and loyalty.โ


